Back in Japan Summer 2018

こんにちは!(Konnichiwa!) As some of you may know, I originally started this blog as a record of my mission trip to Japan in summer 2009. Feel free to browse the Adventures in Japan tag to see what the Lord did there that summer. I believe he used that time to grow me up a lot as a young 18 year old and truly see what ministry is like. Well, praise the Lord, I am going to spend another 3 months in Japan this summer! Please read more below to see what led me to that and please add your e-mail on the bar on the right if you would like to get updates!





In my last post in January, I wrote briefly about language progress for this year. Relevant part: "I went to Japan for 3 weeks last summer on a mission trip!!! After 8 years away, I was finally able to return to the land of the rising sun. It was so good to go back and be in that environment again. As for language ability, I was able to use my limited Japanese a bit while there, though I mostly talked to new friends in English.. While highly impressed by the language ability of some friends who went with me, I was unable to engage in any complex conversations...2018 Goal: Get my Japanese level back to a conversational level before May 2018. I need to do this for the mission trip I'm planning on going on."

So pretty much ever since coming back to the US last summer from my trip, I've been looking forward to and working towards a planned third trip this year. Originally, it was only going to be a couple of weeks, but in a very quick turn of events about a month after this post where a friend invited me to join her at language school, I prayerfully decided to spend this whole summer in Japan on mission and studying Japanese. I want to be a part of reaching the lost for Christ, seek out God's will for my life after grad school, and also practice my rusty Japanese.

In light of that, I will be posting more than once a year! haha. I plan on using this blog to record my experiences on mission in Tokyo and Nagoya and studying Japanese at a language institute for 8 weeks.

And about that goal. "Get my Japanese level back to a conversational level before May 2018. I need to do this for the mission trip I'm planning on going on." Nah, that really didn't happen. I find that I really don't have the necessary time and motivation to really put into language study without the extra push that formal studies or living in the country can bring, especially with how busy I am with school and work. So the language institute seemed like a really good use of time. So yeah, bought books on Japanese, downloaded apps, read some manga, but haven't been consistent. Definitely not going to be conversational by the time we get there.

In any case, check back here occasionally as I will be posting prayer updates and photos of Japan.

I'll leave off with this really good passage. Please pray for Japan - for God wants all to be saved!

"First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time." 2 Timothy 2:1-6

Comments