2018 Language Update

2017 was a good year for language. In the spirit of this 2016 update on language, I'm going to work through my goals of becoming a polyglot and try to set future goals for 2018. Eventually, I do want to work on other languages, especially Hindi, but for this year I need to focus on the languages that I've already gotten a grasp in. This is because I need to use these languages for ministry and work. Overall, I want to maintain my Chinese, recover my Japanese to a conversational level, and increase my speed and fluency in Spanish. It helps that for Japanese and Spanish that I have concrete reasons to get to those levels of language, so I am hopeful that I will be able to complete my goals.
  1. Chinese 
    1. Update: Occasionally I talk with Chinese friends in really short conversations and read internet memes or something like that, but haven't been doing anything regular. Earlier in 2016 and 2017, I used my Chinese-English Bible at church and that helped a good bit. My understanding and reading is still ok, but speaking is becoming more difficult. I think my tones are getting worse. However, I still think this is my best foreign language due to studying it in-country. And I'm so happy that I got the chance to study it full time, so want to keep it up!
    2. 2018 Goal: Maintain Chinese through continued occasional conversations and internet input. Even though I want to maintain it, this language is low priority for me because I actually need Spanish and Japanese language ability this year for practical reasons.
  2. Japanese
    1. Update: I went to Japan for 3 weeks last summer on a mission trip!!! After 8 years away, I was finally able to return to the land of the rising sun. It was so good to go back and be in that environment again. As for language ability, I was able to use my limited Japanese a bit while there, though I mostly talked to new friends in English.. While highly impressed by the language ability of some friends who went with me, I was unable to engage in any complex conversations.
    2. 2018 Goal: Get my Japanese level back to a conversational level before May 2018. I need to do this for the mission trip I'm planning on going on. To achieve this goal, I need to be really intentional, so I'm planning on setting aside 30 minutes each day to work on this goal. Still have my textbooks from college, so maybe I can break them up into chunks. I could also potentially take a page from my Mandarin learning schedule (which of course was 3 hours a day instead of 30 minutes. This is the schedule I had for each day while in China:
    3. Monday
      Tuesday
      Wednesday
      Thursday
      Friday
      Songs
      Reading
      Listening/Characters
      Reading
      Photo Dictionary
      Grammar
      Speaking
      Characters
      Homonyms
      Free Talk/Video

      As you can see, I had it jam-packed. It's unrealistic to do that much each day on top of other responsibilities, so I think I will modify it, but keep some of the basic parts. In addition, I will make a goal of writing one Japanese-related post a week on this blog related to one of these categories.
      I'll start this next week:
      Monday
      Tuesday
      Wednesday
      Thursday
      Friday
      Songs
      Reading
      Listening
      Reading
      Video
  3. Spanish
    1. Update: Great news! I've been able to work using Spanish, conducting presentations and in a couple of instances interpreting English>Spanish. This has substantially increased my speaking and listening level to the next degree.  Most of it is regarding industry-specific topics, however my normal vocabulary, pronunciation, and grammar needs to improve. Really encouraging that I can use it quite regularly however.
    2. 2018 Goal: Improve my fluency and speed of interpretation. How to do that? I can't study Spanish as much if I want to focus on Japanese. Maybe at least one day a week, Is should take a peek at Spanish. At least every night before I present in Spanish, I need to study Spanish in some way. I'll revisit this.
Look for an update later this week on Japanese. There's a song I want to work on translating!

Comments