Languages I want to learn - 5 year check-in on my dream of becoming a polyglot

Roughly 5 years ago, I made a wishlist of languages I would like to learn. I was ambitious(although I whittled my original 15 down to 6). What were the six I mentioned? Let's take a trip down memory lane here:
  1. Spanish
    1. Because of its utility here in the states.
  2. Japanese
    1. Because I want to move to Japan and I've put so much effort into it already
  3. Swahili
    1. Because of the family heritage and its utility in Eastern Africa
  4. Arabic
    1. It's the big strategic language right now. As an INTA student, I think it would be wise for me to invest more time in it.
  5. French
    1. Because I've already messed with it, its proximity to Spanish, and its utility in Africa
  6. Chinese
    1. They have 1 billion people. Need I say more?"
So, I've had a whole 5 years since 2011, how have I done in achieving my goals?

____________
  1. Spanish
    1. Answering my original reason: It is still very useful and common in the US, so I think reviving the Spanish part of my brain would be a good idea
    2. Update: This is my second-best foreign language, although saying that doesn't mean a lot. I am able to understand a lot, so the ten odd years of studying Spanish from middle school through college have not gone to waste. Last month, I sat in on a chat with a Hispanic couple and some Americans and was able to interpret translate 85% of what was said to one American who couldn't speak Spanish. However, conjugation and words in general take a good while to come to mind when I actually try to speak.
    3. Example: Hoy en día los jovenes son más locos que mi niñez, porque todos los días ellos dependen a la tecnología para disfrutarlos y no piensan por los otros. Sí, soy una abuela. Entonces, soy muy perezosa y no quiero escribir más español, porque se requiere pensar muchisimo. Perdoname.
      1. Translation: Youth today are more crazy that in my childhood, because they depend on technology every day to entertain themselves and don't think of others. Yes, I am a grandmother. Also, I am very lazy and don't want to write more Spanish, because it requires me to think too much. Excuse me.
  2. Japanese
    1. Answering my original reason: Didn't move to Japan.
    2. Update: I majored in it, I spent 2 months in-country, and.... I can hardly remember anything. I know the basic phrases that you say a million times, but actual conversation? Fuggedaboutit! This is probably because of #6.
    3. Example: 今日はあきこさんの誕生日ですから、あきこさんがケーキを食べたいです。
      1. Translation: Since today is Akiko's birthday, she wants to eat cake.
  3. Swahili
    1. Answering my original reason: Still want to go back to East Africa one day, although I think I would be on high alert with Al Shabaab making Kenya more and more unstable. 
    2. Update: I know a few more words than I did before, mostly thanks to watching ridiculous Youtube videos performed by Tanzanian and Kenyan music stars like Sauti Sol and Diamond Platnumz. Not at all conversation or basic though. Unless you want me to run around saying, "Your face!" Oh wait, that might be useful for insults. Here you go internet, "Your face" in Swahili is "Sura yako."
    3. Example: Hamjambo! Ninakupenda.  Hakuna matata! Pamoja tuta shinda. Sura yako ;)
      1. Translation: Hi y'all! I love you. No problem! We can do it together. Your face ;)
  4. Arabic
    1. Answering my original reason: The Syrian war is now in it's fifth year as of March 15th. Syrian refugees and immigrants from other Middle Eastern countries are now all over the world, including the US. I went hiking a while back here in the US and came across a Middle Eastern family. Arabic is now more useful than ever. 
    2. Update: I studied one semester of Arabic in college and am auditing a second semester now. But I had to go back to Arabic I, because I forgot most of it. Very very basic conversational level, but at least I can "read" the letters. And say slow/a little bit, which comes in handy with kids: شوي(shway)
    3. Example: !ما هثة؟انا لا اسف! هثة كتاباسود
      1. What is that? I don't understand. This is book is black.
  5. French
    1. Answering my original reason: I now have no idea if I will ever go back to Africa. I hope to one day. Sentimentality is not going to motivate me to study - necessity and environment will.
    2. Update: The only connection I have had with French is playing Stromae videos constantly in the background as I work. Needlessly to say, no real progress.
    3. Example: Bonjour, monsier. Frere Jacques, dorme vous? La maison grand. Allons!
      1. Translation: Hello, sir. Father Jack, are you sleeping? The big house. Let's go!
  6. Chinese
    1. Answering my original reason: Now 1.4 billion people and growing. That's only in China. There are millions of Chinese in America as well, at every Chinese restaurant, Asian health store, Asian grocery and center aisle mall massage place. Lots of chances for conversation.
    2. Update: This is my best foreign language by far. I lived in-country for a good period and was tutored by a teacher who spoke about as much English as I can French, which sped up my language acquisition. Having friends who could only speak Chinese also helped a lot - especially if I wanted to keep up with jokes! Now I can read a good bit and have a good working vocabulary, but I am far far far from fluent. But hey, now I can converse with about a billion people without using English. Pretty exciting! I must maintain and increase my Mandarin Chinese ability!
    3. Example: 我觉得每个国家都要反对恐怖分子。他们而不是最大的社会问题或者国际关系问题,但是差不多。还有,我喜欢去中式餐厅吃饭,而且美式中国餐厅都不超过那种真中式菜。对了,我有很重的观点。 :P
      1. Translation: I think that every country should oppose terrorists. They aren't the biggest societal problem or international relations issue, but just about. Also, I like to go out to eat at Chinese restaurants, but American-style Chinese food isn't as good as genuine Chinese food. That's right, I have very strong opinions. :P
Overall, I'm doing a lot better than one would have thought (and I never would have thought I would have learned Mandarin) but losing most of my Japanese has been a big disappointment. On the other hand, if this is where I am five years into my proclamation, maybe there is hope for this language nerd to gain conversational fluency in 6 languages. 

What would I realistically like to do? 
  1. Expand my Mandarin through interacting with Chinese friends back in the mainland, talking with Chinese people here, watching Chinese movies and internet-ing.
  2. Learn more Arabic through talking with Middle Eastern people
  3. Go to Hispanic areas of town and relearn a lot of Spanish
Any other languages? Maybe...
Years of watching Bollywood movies and knowing Indians makes me kind of want to learn Hindi
Traveling and knowing a few Thai people kind of makes me want to learn Thai
So we shall see.
What would really help me learn all six languages on the main list???
Either
Become Benny the Irish Polyglot and move all around the world to learn these languages

Or

Join the Foreign Service 

Or

Embed myself in all six language communities in the US/Canada in alternating years. Toronto, anyone?

Or 

Marry an Arabic-speaking Kenyan who does business in China and Japan with French and Spanish clients whom I must entertain at our bed and breakfast side business.


The last one looks most realistic, honestly.


So, what do y'all think? Any other aspiring polyglots? How have you done with your language goals?

Comments

  1. Honey, whatever you do, don't say "sura yako" to a Shona Zimbabwean. Shona shares a lot of words with Swahili but some are perfect homonyms. So instead of "your face" you'd be saying "your fart". THe looks on their faces would be priceless though 😁.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word! That gave me a really good laugh. Isn't language funny? Interesting that related languages can have such a big difference in meaning with homonyms. That would have been a really hilarious misunderstanding!

      Delete
  2. You are so wonderful in your approach to languages! I love the last point, especially.
    Marm

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment