My Day Out!

So, I've published like three posts today(including this one), so check the other two out. I talked about Friday in the first and gave you a tour of the cave(where I live) in the second.
About today: I really loved this afternoon. It was so great! There were a couple of moments when I felt sad, but I think that's natural here. I just feel so sad that such a beautiful country knows nothing about the God that created it.
Well, today, to save on money and experience exploring fully, I decided to walk to my destination: Harajuku. While I wanted to go there, a couple of my side excursions really took the day for me instead of the fashion district.
First: Yoyogi Park. This park is so beautiful, and it was great to walk in the sun and see so many groups and families there.
I saw some beautiful flowers, fountains, and trees.
About the time that I walked past the fountains, I felt so burdened for Japan and cried out to God(as quietly as I could) for their souls. A minute later, I saw a group of white people in pink t-shirts. They were a traveling choir from a Christian organization. I was so encouraged by them. Also randomly saw a sculpture of the Mayan god Quetzalcoatl.
After walking out the park, I saw the magnificent entrance of the Meiji Jingu, or shrine. After a bit of indecision, almost buying some paintings,and seeing the Harajuku station, I decided that seeing the jingu would be an experience I wouldn't want to miss.
I was right. It's quite a walk to the jingu itself from the Harajuku entrance, but a very beautiful one.
After two more large torii, the jingu itself stands.

Shintoists wash their hands before entering.

Meiji Jingu is really a temple, made for the spirits of the enlightened emperor(that's what meiji means) and his wife, who decided to let the West in and end Japan's isolation. I think that he really saw the wisdom of giving a little.
I saw two wedding processions in my time at the temple. Bittersweet for me.
Around a holy tree before the final gates were thousands of placards or ema that had peoples prayers on them, in many languages, like Spanish, English, maybe Thai, and of course, Japanese. I wonder how they think their prayers will be answered. I almost bought one to write on my prayer: that men would know Christ. But...I don't need to write one for my prayer to be heard(and I don't think these spirits would oblige).

A People to People group was there when I came to the main temple. I almost went with this cultural exchange program a couple of years ago in high school.
Basically, the most important thing a person does when they get to the temple is put a few coins in the offering box and clap their hands twice. And like a church, every hour, a priest pounds on a magnificent drum(well, we have bells).

Anyway, after leaving I saw this man's t-shirt and I found it interesting, just two lines of camoflauge, but to me at that moment, it was a camoflauged cross.
I was originally going to go for a friendship party at 4:30, but Rebekah and Caleb were fine without me, so I could go have some more fun. I went down to the food place in the shrine, saw a Seventh Day Adventist family from Georgia, the Drakes, I think. Said they had family that used to go to church in my town, so that was interesting. Got a free mochi ball and some free green tea.
I went a lot of other places today, like Harajuku. It was packed. Saw a few crazy-dressed lolitas. The girl below was very kind so as to let me take her picture.
Walked all the way back to Shibuya on the other side of Yoyogi Park that I came in on. Thought the yen store was the 100 yen store(like a $ store), but they actually exchange money. Finally ended up at Tokyu Hands, a really nice department store. Spent like an hour in there, but left victorious.
This day was a really nice rest. I think I may go read some more of my book to top it off.
Also update on two Sundays ago: Chika-san has become a Christian! Praise God!

Comments

  1. Harajuku! Oh man I wish I could have been there to see all that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment