Distribution!


This was our first day of distribution, where we go out in around our train station and put something in as many residential mail boxes as possible. First we're going to cover it with invitations to get the hope video, and then gospels of John. It is going to take a long time. I think I counted 23 districts. But thank God we're going to have 13 people from the University of Mobile to help us next week. I must think long and hard about a good battle plan. This is fun!It was Caleb's off day today, so it was interesting just having us two girls, but we were still able to cover a good little area. It's amazing how many people can live around an entertaiment district.
My blue long "hippy"(points at Ben) skirt has had its city test run today. Keeps me pretty warm. Drags in nastiness, though I do like it a lot. I tried my sandals last time I wore a skirt, so this time I decided to try my flip-flops. They did all right.
While we were out, I saw two men that I had seen yesterday. Waseda-san might come to Bible study on Sunday. Apparently, he went to the US thirty years ago. Much more talkative than yesterday. I hope that he comes to know the Lord. And there was also a trash-picker-upper who wanted English lessons. Didn't have anything for that, so I gave him a hope invitation. We ran out of those a little before 12:30, so Rebecca and I went to lunch early.
This was my first real Japanese McDonald's experience. I ordered from the 100 yen menu- definitely a great deal, though I should get more coins(I had to scramble together a 50 and some tens). I had a McPork. Basically, it's the same meat as the sausage biscuit in a hamburger bun. Tasty!

Taking an ice cream, we sat down in one of the station malls. Had to find some chairs; they don't have too many benches here in Tokyo(nor trash cans, but I just put my trash in a pocket of my backpack).
At 2:00, we split up to do five minute English, I in the north and Rebekah in the south. I was in the north part of the station for about an hour and a half, and I spoke to a couple of people. A woman who didn't speak much English came up to me, with some Catholic background apparently. She said that there was a Bible at her house. I tried to go through the Steps many times, but failed. Lots of conversation, though. Gave her that and a hope video thing I think and my meishi(business card). I hope to see her again. Told her about the Bible study on Sunday. Also talked to an old man(80 I think). Very good English. Went to America once. I hope he invites me and someone else to his house like he says. He was just really deaf so he couldn't really hear what I had to say.
After he came by, I saw a police officer talk to the guys handing out tissues with advertisements in the packages. I decided to stick around and see if he would approach me. He did, very politely and with many motions. So I had to leave the north side.
For the rest of the time, I stood up on the walkway of the southside. There were so many people passing by- it was quite crazy when big trains dropped them. I was standing between where two different lines are, so it was interesting. Still, there weren't that many people who came up to us.
Those that came: A Bhutanese Buddhist girl. Very good English. Didn't even want to look at anything to do with Christianity. Said that all gods were the same. A guy with no religion. We had a lot of conversation. I asked why he different believe in God. He basically said culture. I told him about grandfather's miraculous return from cancer and about how nature had to be created by someone just like the train station had to be made by someone. But he wasn't convinced. A college student studying to be a surgeon. Basically like the first guy. Said he couldn't believe in a god. A guy who wanted me to work at his English school- Noue. And finally a woman who said that she couldn't know God at all. She had watched Angels & Demons and Passion of the Christ. I tried to explain how she could know God with what I got, but she wouldn't listen or take anything.
I'm glad we're reading Ezekiel. I found these verses from the other day very poignant:
Eze 2:7 And you shall speak my words to them, whether they hear or refuse to hear, for they are a rebellious house.
Eze 3:27 But when I speak with you, I will open your mouth, and you shall say to them, 'Thus says the Lord GOD.' He who will hear, let him hear; and he who will refuse to hear, let him refuse, for they are a rebellious house.
Eze 12:2 "Son of man, you dwell in the midst of a rebellious house, who have eyes to see, but see not, who have ears to hear, but hear not, for they are a rebellious house.
Anyway, we decided to end early, because it looked like it was about to rain. After getting back to Shibuya, I went to Don Quijote's(kind of like a Wal-Mart) and got some much needed groceries. Onigiri for dinner. First clothes wash of the summer. I think I'll turn in early today.

Comments

  1. Kelsey! You Go Girl! Keep telling the word, even if they dont listen!

    On a separate note, do japanese phones work here in america, or can they be changed to work here? I guess they wont work at all but id thought id ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The answer is yes, BUT you must make sure the phone you're purchasing from Japan:

    1.) Is Tri-Band 900/1800/1900 make sure it operates on these frequencies. You can pop out your T-Mobile sim card and put it in your Japanese Phone.

    2.) Is Unlocked! Make sure the phone from Japan isn't locked to any carrier.

    Also make sure you have a wall adapter for the phone's charger, so you can use it in your home here in the US.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment