Taking a leap of faith like Indiana Jones

It's hard to think that my graduation is only two months from now. In that short time, my life will be completely different than it has been since as long as I could remember. I've just gotten used to college life - staying 4 1/2 years will do that to you. What will I do when there are no classes to take/cafeteria to eat at/friends living within a square mile? Transition is always hard. Aside from simply leaving this stage of life, I'm going crazy trying to figure out which way my life will go. Having so many options is at the same time both extremely exhilarating and extremely scary, because you want to pick the right job - and for me, I want to do what's in God's will. I want to actually use my International Affairs and Japanese major/Spanish minor - and I know the job market isn't exactly the best, but surely there's something related.

Getting closer to the edge of the unknown is scary. While I was mulling over it today, it reminded me of some of the final scenes in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.Indiana is always seeking after one artifact or another. In this movie, in order to get the Holy Grail, he has to make it through four trials:


1. Being humble - Indiana tries to figure out what it means to be a penitent man. At the last moment, he understands he has to kneel before he loses his head(literally)


--->For me, having a healthy perspective of who I am - i.e. being humble - starts me on the journey for my new role in life. I know who I am, what I can do, and when to acknowledge my weaknesses before something/someone else cuts me down


2. Making the right steps - Indiana comes upon what looks like a normal, safe path no matter which step he decides, but through the book he has to guide him he finds out that's not the case. He has to step on the letters that spell 'Iehovah' - the name of God - or fall.

--->Having a healthy outlook on God is also essential. I need to seek after God and not go any way I please. Knowing his name(i.o.w. keeping up a relationship with him) is the most basic thing that will keep me on the right path to the 'Holy Grail' that I'm seeking; not knowing it will sabotage my efforts early on.

3. Taking a leap of faith -A seemingly impossible task lies before Indiana - get to the other side of the chasm. With his book in hand, he realizes he needs to trust that there's a bridge there. That first step on the invisible bridge(created through forced perspective) was the hardest, but he made it to the other side

--->For me on the one side of the cliff, I can't see where the bridge is -what path I should take to get to a happy, productive, God-centered life after college. The fear of falling into the bottomless chasm, of failing at my purpose in life is scary. What then?  But then I realize that "The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps." (Prov. 16:9) If I'm really walking with God, then I should believe that he is guiding my steps - that equals faith.

4. Choosing the right Holy grail - Indy is presented with many different goblets of various sizes, shapes, and quality. He has to choose the one that Jesus drank from. If he chooses right, he could become immortal. Choosing wrong equals death.  It ends up being a simple wooden goblet instead of the gold one everyone always imagines.

--->Maybe the Holy Grail won't be the typical materialistic American dream, but it will be good and fulfilling. Picking the right one is essential, which takes all of the previous steps to do properly: humility, knowing God, taking a leap of faith. (As an aside, it humbles me to think that Jesus' occupation before rabbi was a carpenter.)

I'm still on the edge of the cliff. I'll have to see if I've learned my lessons. Can anyone else speak to this? Has something similar proven true in your life?



Comments