Wanderlust

Mt. Fuji 2009 

wan·der·lust

  [won-der-luhst] 
noun
a strong, innate desire to rove or travel about.
Origin: 
1850–55; German, equivalent to wander(n) to wander + Lustdesire; see lust
(from dictionary.com)

You know, I keep on finding myself want to be somewhere else. As the saying goes, there's a whole world out there! And I would love to traverse a good percentage of it. I've been spoiled with how much traveling I did when I was a kid, and it's never been enough. I always want to see new places, new people, new experiences.  It's given me the travel bug - wanderlust.

It's pretty evident in how I chose to entertain myself:
#1 Ladies Detective Agency(set in Botswana)
Priscilla Hutchins series(sci fi series about traveling the galaxy)
The Man Who Cycled the World and The Man Who Cycled the Americas(bbc documentaries about a crazy bicyclist)
Music from Genki Sudo:

The list goes on, but in my mind, I'm always traveling. I mean, just look around at my blog a bit and you'll see like this similar post). 

Who knows where my life journey will take me? In college, I'm beginning to understand that the journeys I've idealized are going to be a lot more difficult than I can wrap my mind around. But the question to me in anything is this - is it worth it? And in travel, it's always been so.

It's getting scary though, because I'm getting close to the time when I can realize my dreams. I'm ever-so-close to graduating school. On the cusp of a path unknown to my experience so far. I've spent all my life in school, protected by my parents. But I'm technically an adult now. Whoa, that's scary!
Many people look at what I want to do and say I'm idealistic, I'm passionate. And I worry that it'll burn out. But I don't want the fear of failure to stop me from doing what I actually care about, instead of finding something nice and comfortable and boring.

And which way will I choose? Will I actually be able to live the lifestyle I want? Are international missions/nonprofit work what I really should do? These and other questions plague my mind. But in all this, my crazy adventurous side wants to follow Mrs. Frizzle(yep coming full circle to childhood) and "Take chances, make mistakes, and get messy!"

Comments