Music and legalism

I was listening to a podcast a couple of weeks ago called the Christian Worldview by David Wheaton(found the link). He went on about how hip hop, rap, and rock are just bad and shouldn't be used for worship, mainly because they appeal to the emotional, rhythmical  side and thus we can lose focus on the words. It all becomes about a good feeling, a performance. And if we start using hip hop for worship, our kids will have something even weirder that they want to worship to when they grow up and we'll have to accept it then. Obviously this guy hasn't even heard of Christian electronica.

Certainly he has some good points about pitfalls, but I think he's wrong in throwing out the baby with the bath water. For me, as you can tell from my tone in the first paragraph, it hit a nerve, but I think he's wrong not only because I'm in the culture that listens to this music. To say that God is not in the music is to deny a lot of God's work.

I feel like some conservatives are afraid of change. That is part of the definition of conservatism. But there's a difference between change for the worse and better. Or at least neutral change. Should we pull out the piano because Jesus didn't use that in his time? How about we go back to worshiping with only our voices, as some suggest? Should we all learn the lyre and the flute? Is some music holy? And what about Christians overseas? Should they be allowed to use their own instruments and style of music, or should there be a universal style of music?

With my background I think that the gospel can be contextualized and that we don't need to be so legalistic about it. Learn about the whys and the background and the impact first before judging.

I've heard of many people who have been changed by modern Christian music and I myself have. The words in the Christian rap and rock can be ignored, but I was deeply impacted by a few songs today as I was listening to the radio the other day and it brought the above instance back into my head. And I feel like the rhythm isn't bad anyway - it can help you remember the words. And a lot of these songs are like mini sermons. Take Lecrae's music. Many of his songs are so deep sometimes I have to listen to them a few times. And all that packed into under five minutes.

Personally, this week, I've been dealing with some sin and praying to God for help. And I feel like his Spirit has spoken to me many ways- including listening to Christian music. Below I have a few songs and I just want to pull out a few lyrics, but I'll put the videos below. These have really impacted me.

Lecrae- I'm a Saint
The Gospel hit my heart
I guess that's what ya call a heart attack
I'm looking at Ephesians 2
Like what did Jesus see in you
It s' nothin by His grace he chose to love on folk like me and you
And I don't understand it
Homie I neva planned it 




Can I Be Honest? KJ-52
Can I be honest?
Can I be real?
Would they still just to how I feel?
But if I was honest ?
If I was real?
Would they even care about how I feel?
...
I'm not perfect I serve a God who is
I serve a God who lives who says that I'm his kid
When I shoot for the mark but I shoot and miss
I serve a God who gives a new start and he forgives
And takes every thing I ever did
Then he throws it in the sea of forgetfulness
See I'm just being honest I hope your getting this
Cuz he's my promise the reason that I live




Comments