The Marriage Breakers of Bangladesh

A good radio programme I found on  the BBC's site was Assignment, which goes to lesser-known regions of the world and reports on social issues, finding people on both sides and interviewing them to make a comprehensive story. I really like the style - that the reporters look for normal people, because it makes it more real to me. It's easier to empathize when one hears someone who could be your mother talking about choices she has to make; personal stories put faces to hard social issues.

The edition I listened to was about arranged marriages in Bangladesh(The Marriage Breakers of Bangladesh). Like in some parts of neighboring India, Bangladeshis traditionally marry off their daughters in their earlier teens. One in five of Bangladeshi teens are married before they turn 15. Now with the education and opportunities of our modern age, people see that that's an issue. It's not only because it makes us uncomfortable as Westerners, but because these girls usually have problems that mar them their entire lives - poor living, educational and working conditions, miscarriages, bodies hurt by having birth before their bodies were ready, and poor treatment by their husbands.Throughout the program, the correspondents follow a wide range of people, including a family that's planning a wedding for their thirteen year old daughter. I'll let you listen to see what happens, but it's an interesting ride.

These are the kinds of stories that stir fire in my heart - I want to go do something! I want to stop the injustice. But it's easy to see that they are not easily solved and involve the cooperation of the community that's affected. I really like that there is an organization there in Bangladesh that is trying to educate people about the problems that come with early arranged marriages, but I like even more that it tries to work with people there, including a 10 year old kid. Who knows, maybe you'll find me working in one of these organizations one day.

Comments