Philosophy from curry

         If you know me at all, you probably know that I love curry. In fact, you might think I may be a little obsessed with it(Loren, I'm looking at you- and yeah, you might be right), but curry is just one of those things that comes with being in my family, like tea time and an affinity for the ocean. We like to make it a lot at home and Ben and I are usually the ones who make it; it's a team effort, usually with me as the sous chef, preparing all of the ingredients and making the chapatis.

               This is what I'm talking about if you're confused.

        Anyway, tonight we had special ingredients, because Ben had to photograph them for a project. Usually, we don't have as many fresh things, but today we had a number of ingredients that were, which made me very excited. My favorite ingredient: cilantro!!! I love cilantro almost as much as I love garlic and ginger. I guess in general, I just love things that add that extra touch to what you eat.

Look at this scrumptious fresh cilantro!

         So when we were preparing the meal(or rather, Ben was and I was watching), I had to take my usual samples of everything delectable to me. I took a bite of the cilantro, and do you know what I found? It's not that great by itself. I mean, it's ok, but it's not like it'll fill you up, and too much might even make you sick. No, fresh cilantro best when mixed with a blend of other tastes, like lime and coconut, yogurt and curry powder. Basically, it makes a good curry great(not to mention tacos).

        Here's where the philosophy comes in. Do you know what Jesus calls those who believe in him? He calls them salt: "You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people’s feet." Matthew 5:13

      So we're salt, spice if you will. Or cilantro in this train of thought. The cilantro, like the salt, doesn't do any good by itself for a meal. But added to a meal, it makes sustenance into something enjoyable, something that you want to sit there and make last.

The curry from tonight

      That's what we need to be as people. We need to be the spice in life. There's a lot of cheesy directions I could take with this thought, but I just want to keep with my main point: alone, we're not all that great and don't seem to have much of a purpose, but put out there, into the world, we bring new life, new joy, just because of who we are as God's creations in Christ. And if life's curry, we spice it up and make it more than tasteless water and meat.

Comments

  1. MMmm, lovely train of thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey,
    Yes, you´re obsessed with curry. No, I don´t really mind :). Even if I do tease you.
    Oh, and I loved the parallel here. Really got me thinking and hit me on an especially bad day. Glad our Jesus uses each of us to really impact the lives of others. Thank you because you have done that for me and reminded me to always be the flavoring in life. The stuff that´s beyond just pretty good.
    Love ya, girly. Can´t wait to make curry with you in our apartment in the fall! You know we gotta! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment