Musings on culture before Independence Day

It's probably because I'm a third culture kid, but for some reason I just love learning about different cultures, immersing myself in everything I can find. There's something about discovering a new, different way of thinking, of living, of dressing, and doing life. Not that I think everything is right with any culture I look at, but it's still fascinating.

What's a third culture kid, you may ask? Simply put, it's a child whose parents are from one culture, but who live in another culture in their formative years. These kids then form their own culture, picking and choosing from their parents and those they meet. For me, that was having American parents and growing up in different locales around Africa. I'm so happy I grew up this way. It's definitely given me a different perspective on life than a lot of people. If you're just following this blog and don't know me personally, the Africa part might surprise you. I mean, this blog is prettymuch dedicated to a country another halfway across the world- Japan.
But that's what I mean when I say being a third culture kid makes me more open to different cultures and just immersing myself in them.

I can go in and out of one to another pretty easily(except maybe the dancing part - I am white, after all ;-) ). I mean, I just got back from a visit to Texas. I'm a Texan, and yet I also identify as an African, and yet I really love the east. When I got back from Texas, I wore my cowgirl boots and hat proudly. To outsiders, I probably look like a real Texan. And yet, I'm just as comfortable in an Indian shalwar kameez or a Japanese kimono or a Kenyan kanga in the right cultural circumstances. Maybe I just like playing dress up ;-) Or maybe it's just something about needing something that actually means something culturally to people. Something honoring to those who went before you. Sometimes for me, the ol' t-shirt and jeans just doesn't do it for me.

My family watched a new movie called The Eagle tonight. It was very intriguing to me to see the clash of cultures back in ancient Roman times. And how these people affixed honor to different actions and people. Let's just say I'm a big fan of the historical action movie. Nothing like men (and/or women) fighting it out for something they believe in, and all in some cool historical context. This movie follows a Roman centurian named Marcus whose father was lost in the far north of Britain, beyond what later became Hadrian's wall and his Briton slave named Esca whom we learn a lot more about as the film progresses. I won't ruin it for you, but it just struck me to what ends people will go for something they believe is honorable. Marcus' father was lost, but so was the golden eagle that his father bore that represented the glory of Rome. And that was what Marcus eventually went after. To save his family's honor, he had to get it back. Who was right? Was anyone? In any case, I think I might have found my new favorite movie.

Oh and to see how they dressed and their music, it just made me long for the good parts of these different peoples' cultures. I want to go to where my ancestors are from sometime in my life and see where I come from and see what it might have been like for them to survive.

Anyway, just some random musings that are somewhat related. Just to make sure it's clear, I do love our country's history as well - so to end off, here's a 'Happy Independence Day!' for you!

Comments