A happy start to a new year

We had a most unusual start to the semester last week: snow! Down south. What is that? And not just the little pansy snow we always get, but 5-6 inches of snow(which is a lot here). And then ice that wouldn't go away, because the snow would melt and freeze again. I had gotten to school the Saturday before, so I was stuck. Stuck with all of my friends in a winter wonderland. No worries about homework just yet, getting to play in the snow(snow battles, sledding, and igloo-making), copious movie-viewing, eating, and games. I have to say it was one of the greatest weeks of my life.

Now I have a great semester ahead of me. Classes I want to take. Got a little taste last week, and I have to say, it's gonna be difficult, but fun. Among other things, I'll get to:  Learning about my home- Africa. Getting to write a paper about it. Hopefully interning in a Latino company!(Sí, y tengo la oportunidad para traducir - lo que quería acá) Getting to learn business Japanese( a little scared about all the honorific/humble language). I'm excited.

And I know that spiritual opportunities will most likely also abound. That's one thing that I really let go over the break- getting good time with God- and it really showed. But I am thankful that God is faithful even when we are unfaithful. Seeing how selfish and sinful I am really helps me understand and appreciate the love and holiness of God. Sometimes I am so self-righteous, I can't see what those attributes mean. Not that it was good I was not loving God or others as I should have, but God used even that for good. I am so unworthy of the relationship God has extended to me. The sermon today was actually on this, and the verses he used really spoke to me. It's Isaiah 1:1-7(ESV):

In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called to another and said:
"Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!"

And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke. And I said: "Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!"

Then one of the seraphim flew to me, having in his hand a burning coal that he had taken with tongs from the altar. And he touched my mouth and said: "Behold, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away, and your sin atoned for."


After we acknowledge who we are and what we've done, God is willing to forgive and cleanse us of our sin, later doing it once and for all in his perfect son Jesus. Thank you, Lord!

Anyway, a lot going on in this post, but I hope to post more regularly, so it won't always be so jerky.

Comments

  1. Yay! The blog is back! I love that passage in Isaiah too. One of the things I like best about it is that after Isaiah's sin has been taken away, he immediately responds to God's call to bring His word to Israel. There's no period of waiting for Isaiah to get his life in order; God's cleansing is all he needed. What mercy! No striving!

    love,
    Madeleine

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment