How does Jesus feel about moral failures?

My home pastor had an intriguing question in the sermon today: "How does Jesus feel about moral failures?" It's intriguing because, well, we all are moral failures at some point if we admit to it. Even if we try, even if we try our very best, many times, we just fall. It's a fact of being a human being.

But so many times, we hear about God crushing these moral failures, condemning them to torment and hell. I mean, isn't moral failure about sin? And isn't that what separates us from God?And yet, Jesus did not do that- he did that to those who were the most respected religious people of his day. There seems to be a conflict here. But it is resolved if we dig into it- and from this, we'll see how Jesus regards moral failures.

Here's a parable about someone who cleaned himself up, but then failed and was worse than before:
Mat 12:43 "When the unclean spirit has gone out of a person, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, but finds none.
Mat 12:44 Then it says, 'I will return to my house from which I came.' And when it comes, it finds the house empty, swept, and put in order.
Mat 12:45 Then it goes and brings with it seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they enter and dwell there, and the last state of that person is worse than the first. So also will it be with this evil generation."

That seems kind of unfair. There is little said about the man, but it is easy to assume that he was a moral failure- he had let himself be controlled by an evil spirit- but he got a break. And then he tried to atone, to undo what he had done while under the influence. And then he gets repaid with 7 times the torment and madness.

Here's the kicker that makes most people reel- it's because he tried to reform himself, with no help from God. Even though the evil spirit in his heart left him, he tried to fill it himself, but only God can do that- only God is powerful enough to defeat evil.

What happens when people prone to failure try to clean up? They fail again at some point. We fail again at some point. But if we follow God, then there is a barrier Being a Christian is not just about being good, but it is only through God changing our lives that we can experience true purity.

So now: how does Jesus feel about moral failures? He loves us, just as God has always loved us. As my pastor pointed out, when we admit in humility our inability, Jesus has mercy. He was happy when a former prostitute wash his feet- with her hair(scandalous!). He chose someone who denied him become one of the great leaders of the church(irresponsible?!). Jesus honored and talked with tax collectors, unclean foreigners- everyone(unclean!).

And yet- his message is the same-
Joh 15:7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
Joh 15:8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.
Joh 15:9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love.
Joh 15:10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.
Joh 15:11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.

Jesus has given us a way to God because we're too blind to find it ourselves. Praise God! He came in such a perfect way, died as a perfect sacrifice, and freed us from our sins!

Comments