2009 Capstone


Well, I think I've waited long enough to finish up this blog for my summer missions in Japan. It's just so hard to put all that I've learned and seen into words, and then condense it to something that other people would like to read, but I want to do this. So, following the advice of both my father and grandfather, I'm going to put down all the major things that I've learned about this summer, in a few different categories.

A. What I've learned about God and faith. Most of these are affirmations of what he's been teaching me for years.

1. God is faithful to his people, and really does make all things for the good of those who love him. When he is all you can depend on, it really tests your faith, but he comes through, such as when I needed money for this trip and got lost in the largest city in the world, etc.
2. Prayer is something that God enjoys to hear and really acts on, whether it be to find a place, for rest, or to meet a certain person. Before the trip, I did talk to God regularly, but I wondered why he needs us to pray for things to happen, but I think he just lets us take part in his plan in that way, besides the fact that you get closer to God through prayer.
3. The Bible really is God-breathed and has such power. Through the scriptures we all went through together, I found new things that I needed for my specific situations.
a. A new life-verse I found: "But when I speak with you, I will open your mouth, and you shall say to them, 'Thus says the Lord GOD.' He who will hear, let him hear; and he who will refuse to hear, let him refuse, for they are a rebellious house." Ezekiel 3:27. This verse helped me throughout the summer, because so many people had no interest in anything I was saying.
4. Many things that the church in America does is just cultural, and doesn't have to be applied across waters; these things are secondary. It seems we've made a lot of rules to protect people that aren't directly out of the scriptures, such as the taboo on tattoos.

B. What I've learned about the gospel
1. There are a few nuances to it that make all the difference to whether it's true or not. Ex: who is doing the saving, what happens to a person who is saved?
2. The parable of the sower is my guidebook! The gospel is preached, and then people may respond to it, but only the one who long-termedly produces fruit is really changed by God.

C. What I've learned about the Japanese people
1. A lot of things in anime are true! Things like...
a. The houses are packed closely together, except for in the rich neighborhoods.
b. The festivals do have those goldfish bags you can buy.
c. Girls try to talk in very cute voices.
d. Most people aren't as crazy fashion-wise as on anime, although some are. I've seen some girls have hair to their feet and a guy wear an elmo costume...
2. Japanese generally like to pick and choose between religions, or are atheists. Most are more rational with day-to-day life than in religion. They don't usually bat an eye to the law of non-contradiction. Maybe this means they don't really believe any of it(generally speaking).
3. Many Japanese either love you because you're a foreigner or avoid you because of that fact- they don't want to have to speak English.
. Many think that they can fix the world on their own, or don't even think it's all that bad, i.e. many are humanists. Many people can't even see the need for the gospel or Christ.
6. Family is first in Japan. It's tough for new Christians to go against their families and follow God and that's why many people don't want to become Christians. A lot like any culture, I suppose, but the next point:
7. Japan is not very individualistic. Groupthink or 'wa' is king. Even the rebels are usually in groups.
8.You can't always get what a person is thinking, and sometimes they'll just agree with you to please you.
9. The Japanese are very welcoming, polite, and generally agreeable(maybe not late at night...)

D. What I've learned about myself
The Bad=I am weak in my flesh :-(:
1. I am not very consistent with relationships and can let some go by the wayside if a person does not contact me.
2. I don't always do what I know is right, and don't always lead others to what is right. Like, if I know a direction is right, maybe I'll let a person just figure it out on their own, just because that's more convenient for me. Also, if it's a moral issue, and especially if a brother or sister is doing it, and I'm in a minority of thinking it's wrong, then I'll just pray for them instead of confronting them.
3. When I do confront, I don't always do it in the right spirit, or with too little information, so it edifies no one, except maybe to humble myself, something a person always needs. Like the Yamanakako time.
4. I'm just as selfish as any other person. I don't always follow that prompting in the spirit.

The Good= Christ in me:
1. I can take charge and lead a group of people, but I can also follow someone's orders well.
2. I'm not afraid of rejection, of me or of the gospel.
3. I am getting better at explaining a whole range of theological topics, from the creation of the earth to marriage to the trinity.
4. I am beginning to learn about true love and service= just do it, not for props, not out of obligation, but out of the love that the Father has given us.
5. I'm not afraid to do a whole lot of new things.

All in all, God has really used this summer to teach me about himself, the true nature of myself, and about a people that doesn't know him. I don't want to forget anything, so I might edit this post later if something comes to mind. God has made me bolder for his gospel- praise him! And he has made me depend on him and go out on a limb, and when I've taken that step, it's been so wonderful. I hope to continue in a couple of relationships with some friends from Japan. I hope to see my friends here come to know Christ. Thank you ,God, for sending me to Japan!

Comments

  1. Yay! I enjoyed reading this. I'm really glad you wrote down the things he taught you in Japan so you can go back and remember God's faithfulness on the days when you have a hard time seeing Him. So good. : ) See you later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The end of this blog made me tear up a bit. I'm proud of you, Kelsey. (Alisha)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment