Texas Super Summer Arrives

Wednesday was indeed a long day, but a good one. Rebekah and I actually didn't have to leave as early as we did for the hostel that the volunteers were staying, but being early was good and gave extra breathing time. We took our team of 13 to the Ochanomizu Christian Center, a nine-storied building. Our auditorium was on the eighth floor. Who took the elevator? Me.
Orientation was from 9-12, as it will be every day. It's kind of like youth camp, but only a few thousand miles away from home. We interns were introduced and led a few different training times with our teams.
Everyone had lunch in Shinjuku. My half of our team(way too many to find one restaurant at lunchtime) found a Beef 'Bawl' shop called Don Don. Good stuff. I love the iced green tea they serve at these joints. And, of course, everyone had to indulge in some conbini(convenience store) ice cream for dessert. Necessary to get the spiritual juices flowing.
We met up with another team and went to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Towers to pray over the city. On the 45th floor, three of the four sides are open so you can look over the whole city. I was surprised that it was free to get up there. After taking like a bagillion pictures and talking to a Paraguayan gentleman, I settled down to pray and read scripture over Tokyo.
We stayed up there until about 3:45, then got lost trying to find the south west gate to do five minute English; we just settled on the south gate.
The time out there was good. Everybody talked to at least one person, so that was at least fifteen people for our team. I talked to a woman going to an English class. Talked to a couple of friends smoking outside who were giving me that knowing look; they were Japanese, but lived in Toronto, Canada a couple of years. Not really interested in the gospel, but I prayed that they would get jobs and told them if they get them, to remember I prayed for it. Matt(TSS) led a girl to Christ! Didn't get to drill her or anything, because she had to go, but that is so awesome!
Rebecca, one of the TSS girls, brought over a man who really didn't know much English. Had a great Japanese conversation with him. Was interested in Christianity, but didn't want to believe right then and there. Actually went overtime talking to this guy, didn't even notice it.
A few people had made friends and they took us out to eat at Miami Garden, an Italian restaurant. It took some doing to get us all seats! Then Puri Kura, the photo booths, with the three new Japanese friends.
Finally, we had to say goodbye to them. I was exhausted taking the Super Summer team home! I'm glad I only had to do that once.

Today, I switched off days with Rebekah, so I got to sleep in. So welcome! I didn't know what to do with myself, but eventually chose Tachikawa's history museum. Took two trips to get there; I forgot my camera card and it was raining hard on my bookbag, so I made a switch back at the house, and tried again. I first went to a nearby graveyard and temple that caught my eye, then the museum The museum was cute and fun. I felt like a schoolkid. After that, I explored randomly, happening upon another graveyard and some cool neighborhood parks.
Caleb, Michael, and I met with Takahito again tonight. He asked why Jesus doesn't stop killing now. It was hard to explain to him, but it came down to free will and eternal judgement. We also just had fun. I wish that we could go deeper in conversation with him.
Anyway, good times. Rainy, but good.

Comments