Hope in rejection


Yesterday, after talking with my family, running, etc., Rebekah and I headed out to Harajuku. We heard about this awesome shop called oriental bazaar. It was so fun to look around, after we were able to find it.
It was fun walking back to the cave, and we made it early. During the first meeting, my mind was on one thing: a package that I could pick up! It was quite an adventure to find it, and finding it made me late to the more important meeting, but when am I going to have time to pick it up otherwise? Anyway, I was so excited! I got some books, a CD, and some other knicknacks from Alisha. Thanks so much! And thanks to mom's Sunday school for the card. It is much appreciated.
After meetings, I just hung out really late. It was fun to be with the other interns and ms again. The guy I talked to last Thursday, Yukishige, randomly texted me a veery long rejection of Christianity and any idea of exclusivity or science working with religion. It took me a long time to figure out what to say to him...
This morning, we endeavored to wake up at 8 and run, and although it was a struggle, we did it! And ran(really jogged) the farthest yet. We'll make a runner out of me yet.
We went to campus today. We just made a really long time so we could study the Bible and pray. It was well worth it.
1. During the prayer time, I was able to figure out what to say to Yukishige. I told him that yes, the gospel is offensive. I wasn't trying to be harsh on Thursday, but said everything I said to him in love. That God loves him. And that I wish him peace, but that I couldn't promise not to talk about Jesus like he had asked me to. Not too much later, the meat of what he replies is that if I will not promise to not talk about God that he would consider me an offensive person. I answer that he will have to regard me an offensive person because God is such an imporant part of my life, thus ending our relationship- This is what he said "Ok bye you should learn what is truely being nice. Thank you." That was quite the experience, but I will not back down and I have so little time to spend here in Japan that I can't use it on people who do not want to hear what I have to say(and really, that didn't seem legit). I think I did the right thing, though.
2. Caleb found a passage I could have used with regards to worshipping/talking to the dead(a big part of my major conversation on Friday)Isaiah 8:19 "When men tell you to consult mediums and spiritists, who whisper and mutter, should not a people inquire of their God? Why consult the dead on behalf of the living?
Anyway, after our first lunch, Rebekah and I went to meet Kei, our friend from the concert. I think it was very good. After talking about a lot, he asked us why we were in Japan, and we got to explain to him our reason and the gospel, Rebekah using her cross as a visual. After going through the Steps to Peace, we asked him to ask us questions, as he got so much of it, but it was so new to him that he was noncommital. He asked us why we believe, and we got to tell him our testimonies. He got that man was messed up, but there was a barrier: he didn't think that there was a solution and that it was man's destiny to be how he is. He didn't think that we needed God. So he needs a lot of prayer- God, open his eyes! I also hope that he will be able to/want to meet with us again, so could you pray for that, too?
So all five of us were out there for five minute English. Talked to a few people-even a kid from Holland who showed me a magic trick- but unfortunately none were interested. Kaitlyn and Caleb got to pass out a lot of Hope tracts, though. At the last minute(it usually is), I talked with a kid my age named Takahito who needs to learn English, but really only knows Japanese, so that was interesting. I have found that whatever pride I've had in my Japanese has been torn down this past week- I need to learn soo much! But we are going to meet again, which is awesome.
I got to eat with Sumiyo and her mother again tonight. Miso soup, prok, veggies, and Japanese peanut butter on bread. I got to talk a lot more about my family and what a missionary is, so that was nice.
K&K have been dealing with a spider bite and bad cough/sore throat, so prayer for that too, if you can.
God is moving big time here in Japan- I can feel it! The Devil and his servant, the Prince of Tokyo, do not like this! I know that we are going to do even more awesome things this summer, through the power of Christ, but I know that God likes to move through the prayers of his saints, so whoever is reading this who would call themselves a Christian, would you commit to praying big time for my team, the West Tokyo Team, and Tokyo in general? I'd love to hear about your prayers. I can't wait to see what this last month is going to bring!
And I leave you with some pictures I took walking home today:

Comments

  1. Your package was from Alisha, as it was all her idea. The ladies at work signed the card. We're excited that you finally got it!
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my mistake. Thanks a lot Alisha for the goodies- much appreciated. I've dived into that 1 minute answers book. And thanks everyone else for the card. I'm going to edit the blog to reflect this. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment