Crazy couple of days

So, yesterday, we really didn't get to talk to anyone or really do much of anything productive, so I was feeling down. Or so I thought. Really, I did a lot, come to think of it. Got to talk to someone at Chuo- we'll meet on Tuesday. Got to talk to that guy I met at Hachioji. Pointed to creation and it's order and beauty and how there must be a creator. Pointed to things in my life. Pointed to the change he has made in people's lives. But basically, he said that science is for some people(him) and religion for other people(me). I just explained how I had just used science to prove God, but his ears were stopped up or something. Oh Lord, open his eyes! I also got to talk to one woman at 5ME for a long time- I seem to attract people more than the others for whatever reason. She learned English at a US military base a long time ago. We talked for the longest time- and I showed her John 3:16. She said a friend showed her that verse before. I told her how God was probably using me to bring her to him. She was very kind, but wouldn't give me her info. At least I gave her mine. But that was kind of a downer- happened a lot to me.
Well, the girl interns have accountability on Thursday nights, so I went back to Shibuya after our work ended. It was fun hanging back at the cave. Accountability we nothing I would have expected. The leader girls actually washed our feet! It was so amazing. We also worshiped God with all of our hearts and lungs and souls! Less accountability, more worship. It was a great refresher. I got the word that God is in charge and will bless what I do. I just need to be patient and wait on his timing.
Today was pretty good. I told Sumiyo's mom "showa o asobimashta" instead of "showa o abimashita", which is the difference between "I played in the shower" and "I took a shower." Haha.
The best part was in the last two hours of ministry time. We did distribution(first time for K&K), looked at that Christian book store, ate at a Chinese ramen shop, hung out, and did five minute English. I got to meet H, a pretty awesome girl my age, who is into disney. We'll meet again sometime, I'm sure of it. She came back to visit with us an hour after she first met us. My dj friend Rai also came up and we talked a bit. He basically hung around from around 3:50 to when I could go with him to practice English and read the Bible- about an hour later.
During that whole hour, I was talking to a man who came up while K&K went off for a break and I had already put up my sign, just talking with H and Rai. I was game to talk with him, though. What an interesting conversation it was! This man started right at me with my political views and that led to why I held certain ones- because I was a Christian. And then to communion and disunity within the world church and the differences between protestants and Catholics. In talking about communion, I brought up the whole gospel and how, if a Christian has sinned and not repented, he should not take communion.
It basically came down to him saying that being in a denomination is sinful and so no Christian can take communion. Nothing I could say could dissuade him. I used my example of campus crusade, and how any Christian from any denomination could come and be accepted and said that I personally take as a sister or brother any Christian, but he got caught up on the whole Catholic thing. I kept on asking why he was so interested in all of this- why did he care if Christians were not one in spirit? He admitted to not being a Christian, or really anything, although he did admit to worshiping his ancestors. And that was a barrier to him-I said that I would find that wrong, but offered that he didn't have to give it up right away, but that if he truly followed God, then the Holy Spirit would tell him to give it up, and he would be happy to do so.
Basically, he said that I was not really following Jesus, no matter what scripture I put at him. He said I was narrow minded- I agreed- Jesus says that narrow is the gate to life. He was off put by that- I actually agreed that I was narrow minded? So he said that the narrow Jesus said was different. I disagreed. I asked him- did he know Jesus? When did he talk to Jesus? I again said that as a Christian, I know Jesus and have his Holy Spirit in me. At some point, he said that I should wash his feet, and I mentioned how we had just had our feet washed by our sisters- accidentally mentioned the word ceremony, which he turned back at me. He asked if I had personally washed homeless people's feet. I said no. That doesn't bother me though, because I can't do everything. He thought that he had won a point there, but he was just trying to use anything to condemn me.
The conversation was actually much longer than that, but it ended with him sermonizing me to have more mercy and generosity- which meant tolerance and acceptance for other beliefs that contradict my own and not telling people that I disagree- and me telling him about hell and what was his decision with Christ? He wouldn't say yes or no. I told him the consequences of not following Christ and how I think he could be a great Christian leader- because of how excited he gets about such things(although, of course, many of his views would have to change).
He told me to follow him. No, siree. I did say that I would think about his advice(and in my mind, throw it away). And he thought I was angry- I wasn't- I was excited and sad and so wanting him to see the truth that he seemed to already know so much about, but wouldn't choose to follow himself. He left in peace. I hope that he will see the light- that this Christianity he seems to worry so much about so as to tell its followers what is best- that this Christianity is the truth. That God is real. I asked him if he thought he was real somewhere in there, and he wouldn't give me a straight answer- only pointed it back at me in deflection. No duh I think he's real. I should have seen that... But I think that was one of the most interesting conversations I've had- just like I was talking to a native speaker- I mean, he even knew the word 'ecumenical.' I mean, Rebekah doesn't even know that word.
After that I went to Starbucks and McDonalds with Rai. Long talk, first evangelistic lesson. Good Japanese practice. I hope that he believes one day.
Anyway, God gave me good conversations today- praise him! Now I don't know when I'll have time to rest, I have so many new friends!

Comments

  1. For a guy who wanted you to stop judging other religions, he sure was judging you! Maybe you will see him again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment