Brown Bag Special!

So the last few days have been whirlwinds of activity.
Friday, after morning church and lunch at Ochanomizu, we put our best attempt into doing distribution in the rain. It was fun and the area my half of the team did was between two large railroad tracks. Finding some of the houses was an adventure- the only way to get to a whole neighborhood(that I could see) was a very narrow road big enough for two people. Unfortunately, the other half couldn't even find very many houses; I accidentally sent them in a business sector.
We got both sides covered for five minute English; I got the north side. Although it didn't seem like it, we really did talk to a lot of people altogether. The sky cleared up for half of the time, and then started raining really hard near the end. I talked to five or six people, I believe. One of them was a Shinnyo-en Buddhist, a member of that temple I visited in my post Busy Week. They are so brainwashed and really worship their leaders along with Buddha. I kept asking her what she believed in and she would say who. A Lutheran Christian woman also came up to me and we talked for a while, me encouraging her to be bold. She said we would see each other in heaven, and came back after a few minutes and gave me a gift. Quite sweet of her! Dennis and I talked to an atheist man who had been in Bible school in high school. Sad.

Saturday was a fun, hot, sunny day. In church time, Jeff made all of the interns get up on stage. James was the 'devil' and we had to surround him and stop him from getting at Jeff. That was entertaining.
When we got to the park in Tachikawa, all of Brown, Sharon, and I went into the paying part of the park, although Caleb, Katie, and Kaitlyn stayed outside. Showa Park is so large! It's crazy, and really, most of the time we spent there was just in wandering. We finally found the Children's Forest and the Misty Forest, and the Bouncing Domes. Talked to a woman who took photos of us sitting in a snake-themed resting area, talked to a mother and father with Michael at the bouncing dome, and talked to a mother and daughter at the top of this pyramid-like structure. None were really interested in the gospel, but as they didn't speak much English, I at least got to practice my Japanese.
After the Brown team left, Caleb, Michael, and I stayed for the fireworks. There were so many people there- and many in kimono. The fireworks were good and lasted over an hour.
Toshiki, the one who had invited us to go, couldn't, but a friend I was going to study the Bible with came. Celia. She said that after everything she can't believe. It was so sad. She said she couldn't believe in anything she couldn't see. And evolution vs. creation was another big barrier. I think she was apologetic- she gave me a grape fanta as kind of a peace offering. But I am so sad for her. I pray that God will reveal himself to her.

Sunday, we had over 200 people under the meeting tree for church. I got to lead Bible study for the Brown team girls. That was fun. We studied Acts 22:30-23:11, and 2 Corinthians 4:1-12. I think park evangelism was a lot more effective for my little tripod. After a curry bread lunch for myself, we wandered off, with the two Rebeccas(not the intern) coming with me. We talked to so many people. Earlier, before we headed off, a girl said hi to me, but then her father said she had to go; we saw them picknicking on a side I've never been to, and she said hi again. Didn't get to say much of anything, but gave her a hope offer. Talked to a few families all the way to the other side of the park, where I just casually said to the girls, "I wish someone would just say hello to us again(and make it easy on us)." Some seconds/a minute later, a guy in a large group just said a big "Hello!" to us and invited us to eat with them. So we took off our shoes and got on their tarp, drank green tea, ate yakisoba, were offered sake, and talked with at least ten people. More Japanese practice. One of the guys read my hyper nikao(more than conquerors) shirt. Didn't get to say too much, but I had one of the Beccas give them all hope tracts. Their hospitality was so nice. A direct answer to prayer!
Also got to talk to one more family, and then we met up with some more of our group and headed out. In leading them back, I took them the old way. For a bit there, I thought I was leading them the wrong way, but thank God it wasn't!
The whole Brown team staked out the south side of our station for 5ME. It was cool how we were around the entire circle. I stuck with Loren and Becca right in front of the McDonald's. Talked to a girl, Yuuko, and got to present the whole gospel to her and compare Christianity with Buddhism and Islam, etc. She said that she just believed in herself, but I hope that will change. We had a nice long conversation. Talked to some other people, including a cute family just leaving McD's, although I didn't get to give them anything of actual use.
All in all, at the end of the day, Caleb asked how many people we had talked to the whole day, and the tally came up to like 46 or something. God is so awesome!
Got to talk to Sumiyo and her mother last night. Used a lot of Japanese with the mom. After she left, we talked a lot about many things, and tried to weave in the gospel here and there. We really care for Sumiyo and it breaks our hearts that she's heading towards hell right now. I mean, we've lived here at this generous, loving woman's house for maybe a month now, and have gotten to know her, but she doesn't know our Lord. I hope that our being here and her sister who is a Christian will really influence her to follow God, and not only her, but her mother and Toshiki as well.

Today is our last real planning/meeting day.

Comments