Mobile University is mobile

So it's been a jam-packed couple of days here in Japanville. Got back around 11:30 last night, so instead of blogging, I chose sleep. ;)
Yesterday(Tuesday) morning, we were supposed to meet the University of Mobile team at 10:00 to take them to Tachikawa from their hotel in Shinjuku. We were right on schedule, even with the crazy large 5 minute English signs, but at the Shibuya Station, I found out unbelievingly that I didn't have my suica card-which is basically a debit card that you can use between all of the different train lines, among other things- so I had to illegally get out of the station(how I got in, too) and buy another card. So we decided to meet the team at Tachikawa Station.
I met the adults of the team whenever they arrived, but I was confused; I thought it would all be university students, and I didn't see them until later. Basically, after arriving at Chuo Daigaku, I had us split into guys and gals and we prayer walked.
Throughout the whole trip, I had been texting my university friends to meet them for lunch(in Japanese), and in the middle of me and Angela prayerwalking, we went to meet Haedan on the second floor of the cafeteria. After a long time of looking for her, she found us, and we sat in a cafe area. And then Ayane and Haruka texted me, and it was crazy. A couple of minutes later, we all sat down at a table in the bigger area. Lots of talking. Ate my first croquettes. Angela went to the book store. Rebekah came and ate with us, and then we split. Hung out with Ayane a lot longer. She has good English. I didn't get to the gospel, although I was about to show her some of my books in my bag at one moment. Maybe tomorrow.
After that, the whole team met at the station at around three. Then we went to Tachikawa Station and after one guy getting sick,a few minutes of explanation about 5 minute English, Rebekah and I set off our side and Caleb led his. Rebekah and I found a couple of good restaurants for friendship parties/bible studies. Angela and Jessica talked to a couple of women for a long time and are hopefully going to meet before they leave, praise God.
At 5:10, Rebekah and I headed off for Kokubunji to meet the other intern girls. We had a girls' night at Miss Melanie's house. After buying some chips at 100 yen store and some cheese at a Seiyu(owned by WALMART), we walked like 30 minutes to the missionary's house.
It was very nice! Their name was inscribed in katakana and it looked like a Japanese house, but Melanie had Texana-fied it. It was so homey. Mom, it reminded me of you and your decorating(especially the bathroom). We had chili and chips and sour cream, oh my! After a couple of hours and technical difficulties, we were finally able to watch the whole Bride Wars. It was fun, but it had its cringe moments.
Today(Wednesday) was shorter. I went with Rebekah to Shinjuku this morning to pick up the 13 UofM peeps. Getting to the ticket wickets, Jessica from the team had forgotten her suica, like I had the day before. It took a really long time for her to get another one(I think we should have helped sooner, bah!).
After getting to the station at maybe 11:30, we did distribution in two major groups today, me with the southrons, and Rebekah to the north. I think I need a better strategy, but it was interesting and fun with two of the older guys. We came upon a high school and its baseball field and a bunch of interesting buildings.
We ate lunch at a very cool restaurant. I found out later that the fish I was eating(with chopsticks) was killed and cooked right there. I keep on forgetting how big the portions are at these nice restaurants- I couldn't even finish it. The team has been so nice as to pay for my lunch as well these past two days, I might get spoiled!
My team then did five minute English until about ten til 5. I personally talked to a lot of people, mostly girls. The first person who came up to us was a British Christian who has lived in Japan for about 30 years. It was awesome to talk to him.I talked to a man, but he said what is now the standard, "but I am a Buddhist." He said something like "China is more promising." I reminded him how China used to be mostly Buddhist, and people who are Christians now had Buddhist ancestors and people should believe in something if it is true, but it was too much for him.
A whole group of schoolgirls was sent to us by the other group down the way, and with Jeff, that was fun. The leader seemed interested, so we exchanged phone info. I thought they were much younger than 16.A girl who went to New Zealand one time talked to me for a long time, although after presenting the gospel and asking about bible study, she said she was only interested in English. Bummer. She really understood a lot of English.Another girl talked with me a long time. She said she had no religion. I went through our tract and asked her if anything was keeping her from following Jesus. She said no and prayed a prayer, although I don't know if it was sincere. I pray we'll talk again; she has my card, I don't have hers.
Jessica thought she had a new believer. Maybe Mao is. I am confused.She said she believed in Jesus, but she said she wasn't a Christian. I switched to Japanese, and she knew that Jesus was God and that he died for us. But maybe I'm just intimidating. She has a busy schedule! I hope that she'll meet with one of us. Because it would be so awesome if her seed would grow!
Anyway, after a mix-up with where someone was, I left the UofM team for home. Wandered around a while in Shibuya. Found a temple and a shrine in the middle of a district. Walked into Bunkamura(which is apparently an art venue), saw a person from the train, got groceries, now I'm home. (By the way, anyone can write comments on this blog. There's a little button on the bottom of each post.)

Comments

  1. keep on planting seeds. God will grow them into beautiful fruit! love, dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things seem to be getting more and more fruitful! Glad you and the new people didn't have too much difficulty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment